Chunks of fresh water fish savoring with lemon grass, rice and herbs is authentic Khmer country food. This recipe is simple but very tasty. It is the kind of food that always put a smile on my face and a warm feeling of home sweet home.
|Servings||Prep time||Cooking time||Calories|
- 2 lbs (900 gram) of whole fresh basa, catfish or snakehead fish, cleaned and cut chunks
- 2 tablespoons of uncooked Jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 fresh or frozen lemon grass stalk, cut 5 inches in length and tied to bunches
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 stalks of green onion, chopped
- 2 chopped hot chili pepper (option)
- 1/2 cup of chopped mix herbs of sweet basil (chee korhom), and Asian coriander ( chee xanghum)
- 1 fresh lime or lemon, sliced
Direction to Make Khmer Lemony Fish Soup
- Put fish, rice, lemon grass and water in a large soup pot and cook till rice tender, stirs often.
- Seasoning with sugar, fish sauce and black pepper.
- Top with green onion, chili pepper and mix herbs.
- Serve hot with rice.
- Add fresh squeezes lime juice(to your taste) to soup when eat.
Serve with hot rice
Related Recipe: Fish Curry Recipe