Authentic Khmer hot pot with fish, shrimp and pork belly meat (sach chrouk bei choen), and light fermented fish broth is very delicious. This popular recipe usually serve at family reunion or large group of people because it’s easy to make, it’s fun food to share with friends and family , it’s taste so good, and most Khmer loves it.
|Servings||Prep time||Cooking time||Calories|
- 1/4 cup of boneless fermented fish (mam)
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 6 oz (170 gram) of pork belly meat with skin on (sach chrouk bei choen), sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of fresh or frozen minced lemon grass
- 2 hot chili pepper, minced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 lb (450 gram) of catfish or basa filets, cut chunks
- 1 lb (450 gram) of large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
Direction to Make Seafood and Fermented Fish Broth Hot Pot
- In a small pot, boiled fermented fish (mam) and 2 cups water till fermented fish dissolved.
- Placed a small strainer over a large bowl, pours fermented fish stock (tirk mam) in to the strainer to strains out fish bones and set it a side.
- Heat up a large soup pot.
- When soup pot is hot, add oil, saute’ pork meat with garlic , lemon grass, chili pepper and onion.
- Seasoning with sugar, fish sauce and black pepper.
- Pour 6 cups water and fermented fish stock in to the soup pot and cook till meat tender.
- Add fish and cook till fish tender.
- Arrange shrimp on bottom of a portable hot pot then add fermented fish soup before put hot charcoal in the portable hot pot or turn it on (if using electric pot) because shrimp take very little time to cook.
Serve hot with rice or noodles, lots of raw vegetables of your choices, and slices of lime or lemon.
Related Recipe: Sweet Sour Spicy Star Fruit Soup
|Hot Pot||Vietnamese, Cambodian||Easy|