Aroma sweet, sour and spicy soup with fish is delicious authentic Khmer food. It easy to make, all you need fish with vegetables.
|Servings||Prep time||Cooking time||Calories|
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup of minced lemon grass
- 6 cups of water
- 1 whole basa, catfish or any white meat fish approx 900 gram, cleaned and cut chunks, or 1 lb (450 gram) of fish fillet, cut chunks
- 1/2 Fresh pineapple, diced, or 1 large canned chunk pineapple
- 1/2 lb (225 gram) of fresh okra or 6 oz (170 gram) of frozen whole okra
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 2 stalks of Asian rhubarb (taro stalk), sliced
- 1 tablespoons of Knorr tamarind powder
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tomatoes, sliced chunks
- 4 oz (120 gram) of bean sprouts
- 1 cup of chopped mix herbs; rice paddy herb, sweet basil and saw leaf herb
- 1 stalk of green onion, chopped
- 2 chopped hot chili pepper, or to your taste (option)
Direction to Make Sweet Sour Soup with Fish
- Heat up a large soup pot.
- When soup pot is hot, add oil and saute’ garlic till it brown, removed toasted garlic and set it a side. Add lemon grass, stirs, add water, cook till water bubbling.
- Put fish, pineapple(included pineapple juice if using canned) to boiling water, cook till fish tender.
- Add okra, celery and Asian rhubard, stirs well.
- Seasoning with tamarind powder, sugar, fish sauce, and salt.
- Add tomatoes and bean sprouts, stirs well.
- Top with mix herbs, green onion, hot chili pepper and toasted garlic before serve.
Serve hot with rice.
Note: For sourer soup add more tamarind powder, add more sugar for sweeter soup.
Related Recipe: Fish Ball with Pineapple Soup