Delicious sweet, sour and spicy star fruit soup with Asian catfish is authentic recipe from Vietnam. Authentic recipe used tamarind pulps but I substituted for tamarind powder because it easier and faster to cook, and it taste just as good.
|Servings||Prep time||Cooking time||Calories|
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh or frozen minced lemon grass
- 4 cups of water
- 1 lb (450 gram) of frozen Asian catfish( rinsed well under water), or 0.50 kg filet basa or catfish (cut chunks)
- 2 star fruits , sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of Knorr tamarind powder
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tomato, cut chunks
- 2 stalks of green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of chopped rice paddy herb (ma-om)
- 2 chopped chili pepper or to your taste (option)
Direction to Make Sweet Sour Spicy Star Fruit Soup
- Pre-heat a soup pot.
- When soup pot is hot, add oil, saute’ garlic and lemon grass for few minutes then add water, cook till water bubbling.
- Add fish, star fruit and celery to boiling water, stirs and cook till fish tender.
- Seasoning with tamarind powder, fish sauce and sugar, stirs well, add tomato, stirs.
- Top with green onion, rice paddy herb and hot chili pepper before serve.
Serve hot with rice.
Related Recipe: Sweet Sour Water Spinach Soup with Fish