Sweet, sour and spicy soup with water spinach and fish is delicious and easy to make at home. It is believes that it originates from Vietnam.
|Servings||Prep time||Cooking time||Calories|
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup of fresh or frozen minced lemon grass
- 4 cups of water
- 1 whole Asian catfish or Basa, approx 900 gram, clean and cut chunks
- 2 lbs (900 gram) of water spinach, cut about 2 or 3 inches in length, washed and drained
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of tamarind powder
- 1 cup of chopped mix herbs ( rice paddy herb, saw leaves , and sweet basil leaves)
- 3 chopped hot chili pepper
Direction to Make Sweet Sour Water Spinach Soup with Fish
- Pre-heat a large soup pot.
- When soup pot is hot, add oil, saute’ garlic till it turns brown but not burn, removed toasted garlic and set it a side.
- Add lemon grass in soup pot with hot oil, stirs well, add water and cook till water bubbling.
- Add fish in to boiling water, cook till fish tender then add water spinach, stirs.
- Seasoning with fish sauce, sugar and tamarind powder, stirs well.
- Top with chopped mix herbs, chili pepper and toasted garlic.
Serve hot with rice.
Related Recipe: Sweet Sour Soup with Fish